Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Why Date?

It’s so hard to meet people. That’s something that I’ve both heard and experienced. Generations are becoming more and more jaded towards traditional dating. It's usually more creepy than flattering when a man approaches a woman. Having social media and the internet at our fingertips has allowed us to think that everything we could want is right there. Dating websites have become more prevalent because the use of smart phones has taken away the chance of random encounters. We live in an age when it’s rare to be asked on a date, let alone actually go to dinner. I have friends in their mid-twenties who have never been on a formal date. I know women who are struggling to meet someone because it's just so impossible to force these experiences. 

Have you ever heard the statement that when you send a girl a text message you should also consider it sent to all of her friends? Unfortunately, there is too much truth to that. Don't get me wrong; I believe that a lot of discussions and experiences should be shared just between the two people in a relationship. However...my girlfriends know much more about my relationship than I think my boyfriend would ever assume. Truthfully that goes for any girl in my group of friends. We all know and talk about our relationships and experiences openly. It's how we bond. It's both a therapy session and entertainment. Women have always shared secrets and communicated this way but as times are changing, so are the means to communicate. It's much more accessible to tell my friends about the boyfriend when he does something cute.


Twenty years ago, I would have had to stockpile all of my stories for the next time that the ladies and I were all together. Now, we have a group text and it's used more frequently than any other contact in my phone. This means that cute moments and funny messages that are deemed worth sharing get sent moments after they're received. The amount of screenshot messages that we share amongst ourselves would be truly terrifying to any male.


It's become so normal to me to have this outlet that sometimes I forget how much it hinders our everyday lives. We forget that some things aren't meant to be shared. When we're together, it's still a great time, but maybe by living through the texting communication, we're taking away from social interactions that could enhance our friendships.

As someone who has to endure a long-distance relationship, I do appreciate that the boyfriend and I can talk over every form of social media. I think that this would be much more difficult if we didn't communicate through email, Trivia Crack, Facebook, text, FaceTime and telephone calls (obsessive, no?) But I still think it's so important that we realize where our generation is heading and why it may not be the best for our relationships in the future. Understanding and appreciating the classic foundation building may be an essential key to happier futures. Too often, couples become involved without having any meaningful face to face communication and it's quite unfortunate.



The negativity of this post is stemmed from my frustration in the struggle that many of my closest friends are dealing with. I was one of the lucky ones and my relationship began with the two of us forming a foundation during various dates. My heart goes out to my friends as they struggle to meet someone significant and I wish that things were easier. I wish that it wasn't necessary to try to push a connection with the AT&T Customer Service Rep (this happened) because options are so limited. I love technology as much as the next Millennial child but maybe, just maybe, we're missing out on really great opportunities because society has started to offer us too any technological options.

No comments:

Post a Comment